Bettis C. Rainsford, Jr.
Bettis is an advocate. He is committed to representing individuals in personal injury and wrongful death cases. He handles matters at every stage in every court, state or federal, throughout South Carolina and Georgia.
His career began in Columbia, South Carolina by clerking for Senior United States District Judge Joseph F. Anderson, Jr. who instilled in him a dedication for the pursuit of the truth and a genuine love for trial. Bettis then worked for a large regional litigation firm based in Columbia where he defended large manufacturers and insurance companies.
In 2019, Bettis joined Ray and became a plaintiff’s attorney. His practice is 100% devoted to representing people in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases. Bettis especially enjoys product liability cases and has had substantial success battling manufacturers who design and sell cheap and dangerous products.
Bettis has been recognized in South Carolina and Georgia as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers – an honor bestowed on only the top 2.5% of attorneys in each state.
He, his wife, Melissa, and their four children, Beau, Vann, Phin, and Anne Catherine, split their time between a farm in his native Edgefield and a house in Augusta. When not practicing law or chasing his children around, Bettis can most often be found hunting or otherwise spending time outdoors.
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina
- J.D. - 2015
- University of South Carolina
- B.A. - 2009
- Honors: cum laude
- Georgia, 2016
- South Carolina, 2015
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia, 2017
- U.S. District Court District of South Carolina, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2016
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star” 2018-Present
- CALI Award – Trial Advocacy
- CALI Award – Appellate Advocacy
- CALI Award – Advanced Legal Writing
- American Bar Association Real Property, Trust and Estate Journal
- Episcopal Church of the Ridge - Mission Council, 2023 to Present
- Edgefield County Historical Society - Board Member, 2023 to Present
- Kappa Alpha Order - Co-Founder of the Central Savannah River Area Alumni Chapter
- Beech Island Agricultural Club
- Augusta Country Club
- Augusta Bar Association
- Augusta Trial Lawyers
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- Richland County (SC) Bar Association , Young Lawyers Division Co-Chair 2016-2018