Bettis is an advocate. He is committed to representing individuals in personal injury and wrongful death cases. He handles those matters at every stage in every court, state or federal, throughout South Carolina and Georgia.
His career began in Columbia, South Carolina by clerking for Senior United States District Judge Joseph F. Anderson, Jr. who instilled in him a dedication for the pursuit of the truth and a genuine love for trial. Bettis then worked for a large regional defense litigation firm based in Columbia where he represented large manufacturers and insurance companies in catastrophic personal injury cases ranging from products liability to medical malpractice.
In 2019, Bettis joined Ray in Augusta where he now devotes 100% of his time to representing people in wrongful death and catastrophic personal injury cases.
Bettis has been recognized in South Carolina and Georgia as a “Rising Star” by Super Lawyers – an honor bestowed on only the top 2.5% of attorneys in each state.
He, his wife, Melissa, and their four children, Beau, Vann, Phin, and Anne Catherine, reside on a farm in his native Edgefield County, South Carolina. When not practicing law, Bettis enjoys spending his time with his family and hunting.
- Georgia, 2016
- South Carolina, 2015
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia, 2017
- U.S. District Court District of South Carolina, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 2016
- Augusta Bar Association
- Augusta Trial Lawyers
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- South Carolina Association for Justice
- Richland County (SC) Bar Association , Young Lawyers Division Co-Chair 2016-2018
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina
- J.D. - 2015
- University of South Carolina
- B.A. - 2009
- Honors: cum laude
- Super Lawyers “Rising Star” 2018-Present
- CALI Award – Trial Advocacy
- CALI Award – Appellate Advocacy
- CALI Award – Advanced Legal Writing
- American Bar Association Real Property, Trust and Estate Journal
- Augusta County Club
- Edgefield County Historical Society
- Kappa Alpha Order